Thursday, June 25, 2015

My Enemy My Friend

Envy


Is there a difference between jealousy and envy?  There is.  Envy is when you want something someone else has.  Jealousy is when it's yours but you don't want others to have it or you don't want to share it.

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins and can ruin an otherwise good friendship.  I see friendships constantly broken because of envy.  Why is it that the grass is always greener on the other side?  And why is it that some friends can't be happy for each other?

I have a number of friends that I've known for years.  One of my friends got married years ago and the other told me that she was so envious that she couldn't even be happy for her.  Our friend was one of the sweetest women I know.  I find it sad that our other friend couldn't be happy for her.  But that is what envy does.  It ruins you and it ruins your friendship.  Unfortunately I have learned the hard way that an envious friend is not a real friend and can cost you something that you value greatly.  A real friend will want what's best for you and will want you to be happy.

There was a story about two women that were fighting over a baby once upon a time.  It got so bad that this issue went before King Solomon who was known for being wise.  He advised that the baby be cut in half and given in part to each woman.  The real mother said to give the other woman her child rather that see him dead.  That is what real love does.  It lets go.