Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Father's Legacy

My Dad


I remember my Dad fondly but I will admit that there were times when he would exasperate me to death.  I remember bits and pieces of what he used to tell me or lecture me about.  "You know how Dads are!"

My Dad was very active in the church as a deacon, taught Sunday school, and sometimes preached the message.  Our entire family went to church on Sunday mornings, Sunday evenings, Wednesday evenings, and even Friday evenings.  Growing up he would always get the entire family up on Saturday mornings to do Bible study.  I remember these conversations with my Dad where I would tell him that he was a "fanatic" and that with being in church so much, did we really have to have Bible study too?  And on Saturday to boot!  Plus I remember telling him that no one else made their family do Bible study.  So it was really ironic when I moved out of the house and met people my age that actually got together for Bible study.  I was beyond dumbfounded.  Like really!?!  However I realize now that God was really watching out for me and I value the legacy that my Dad gave to me especially now as he has passed on.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!